By Ghexia (www.lagriffedeghexia.com)
Story of the creation
In February 2017, a friend asked me to crochet something related either to the foxes or to the Studio Ghibli universe. At that time, I sometimes saw "Pikachu Totoro" amigurumis on the web so I suggested a version with the fox instead of the Pikachu and it really thrilled him !
I inspired myself from various photos and images and that's how the Fox in Totoro Suit was born !
Unfortunately, things didn't go quite as planned and this "friend" never came to get his little plush toy. As I had no particular affinity with foxes and "My neighbor Totoro" (I have never seen it), I put it on sale on Etsy and, a few months later, it found an owner !
When I merged my website and my blog on WordPress in May 2019, I reworked the graphic aspect of it. So I naturally redesigned the patterns in PDF format, which now only concerns paid patterns, so that it visually looks like the website. The format has also changed, from a double-page A5 to a standard A4, more practical and easy to print at home !
A little song to listen to while reading this post :
- If you print this pattern, feel free to tick the small ○ next to the rows when you have finished them !
- The fox has an approximate size of 20cm (7.87") high using the recommended material.
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- The 4mm (G) crochet hook is only used to make the hood, the other parts are made with the 3,5mm (E) crochet hook.
- For the yarn, you can use any yarn as long as you use a corresponding hook. According to this, your fox will have a different size than the reference size indicated.
- Increases and decreases are written in order to have a perfect circle, to obtain a more beautiful result. I invite you to read this blog post from Ahooka to learn more.
- This pattern is worked in the spiral : don't close the rounds with a slip stitch unless otherwise indicated. Learn how to finish a project in a spiral here.
- To make the legs and the leaf, it will be necessary to know how to crochet on both sides of the chain. An other link from Ahooka's blog.
By buying the pattern on Ravelry, you will be able to download several versions : the classic version with many pictures and the "Eco-Friendly" version with written explanations only : no pictures, images or colors. Both versions are available in French and English.
The classic version contains 10 pages with more than fifty step-by-step pictures to help you with the more complex steps.
The instructions are detailed row by row to make it easier for you to find your way around.
If you want to print the pattern, I suggest you to print the "Eco-Friendly" version and refer to the pictures of the classic version on your pc, tablet or mobile when necessary.
When printing, please tick "Fit" instead of "Actual size" in the dialog box.
Caution : to open these PDF, you will need Adobe Reader.
If you have any questions or problems about the pattern, or if you want to send me a small picture of your finished project so that I can add it with pleasure to the gallery of this post, contact me via the comments, the contact form or at this e-mail address (specifying in the subject the name of the pattern) :
- A 3,5mm (E) crochet hook
- A 4mm (G) crochet hook
- Four balls of Drops Paris : 2 balls in dark grey (col. 24), 1 ball in orange (col. 13) and 1 ball in white (col. 16)
- A bit of green cotton and black cotton of the same size as the yarns used above
- Two 9mm safety eyes (or a size corresponding to the head of your fox)
- A yarn needle to weave in ends and to embroider the "V"
- A stitch marker
- Fiberfill stuffing
- A pair of scissors
- mc : magic circle
- ch : chain
- st(s) : stitch(es)
- sc : single crochet
- slst : slip stitch
- inc : increase
- dec : decrease
- hdc : half double crochet
- dc : double crochet
- f/o : fasten off
With a 3,5mm (E) crochet hook, crochet a 10 x 10 cm (4") square in single crochets : 21 stitches on 24 rows.
A design by Ghexia (Gaëlle Martinage) - © La Griffe de Ghexia - All rights reserved. This pattern is for personal use only. The tutorial can not be (in whole or in part) reproduced, resold and modified. The translation and the publication (online or printed) are NOT allowed. However, you can sell the finished products if they are handmade by you and as long as I am credited (e.g. : “This product was handmade by ........ from a pattern of Ghexia / www.lagriffedeghexia.com”). If you share your finished creation, don't forget to credit me as the designer. You can also, if you wish, specify the link of the pattern. Thanks ! ♥