Hi Yarn Lovers ! In this post we will talk about methods and particularly about crochet stitch and embroidery on crochet fabric !
The methods we are going to learn will especially serve for the basket pattern you recently saw on Instagram and which will come soon.
Edit : Find the pattern here.
Do you know how to crochet the knit stitch ? It looks like stockinette stitch in knitting. The difference is in its rendering. Because it's crochet, it's more dense than with needles. I even recommend to use a crochet hook with a half-size or a size bigger.
In fact, it's a simple stitch once we understand where to insert the crochet hook. The only difficulty is to not overtighten the stitches otherwise it will be hard to do it…
Note : I totally forgot to take picture to show where to insert the crochet hook on the very first row, so I'm gonna use this one. But let's do like I use white thread and like the white part below is what we are going to do now.
Depending on your tension, it might be difficult to insert the crochet hook in the first row's stitches, but it's doable !
From the second row :
- Locate the stitch's body which looks like a "V". We are going to insert the crochet hook here again.
- Now insert the crochet hook.
- Yarn over, pull through and finish the stitch as usual. Voilà ! Tell me if you had some troubles to make that stitch or if you already knew it.
Now, let's do cross stitch on… crochet knit stitch ! On the laundry basket which I told you about earlier, there is a text made in cross stitch.
The steps in images :
- Insert the yarn needle from the inside of the basket to the outside, in the bottom left corner of the "V" stitch.
- Pull through the thread to have about 5cm (1.96") in the inside of the basket.
- Insert the needle, from the outside to the inside, in the upper right corner of the "V" stitch.
- Pull again the needle in the bottom left corner of the "V" stitch which is just above the previous one.
- Then insert again in the upper right corner of the same stitch.
- Repeat the steps...
...to the top of the line.
- To make the other part of the cross, we are going to do the opposite : pull the needle in the upper left corner...
...and insert it in the bottom right corner.
We have a cross !
- Repeat to the bottom of the line.
Note : here I chose to make the crosses vertically (from bottom to top) because I thought it was easier to embroider letters. But you can also make them horizontally, from left to right, following the same steps !
Don't hesitate to tell me if you had difficulties with it.
Would you like other posts like this one ? If you like to, on which technic or stitch ?