Hello Yarn Lovers !
Not long after I started crocheting, in 2014, I challenged myself to make a mini-me amigurumi. I had made a lot of researches at that time, on Ravelry and many other sites, for an amigurumi tutorial I liked and I could easily customize so that it would look like me.
I) Ghexia 2.0
As I said, I had just started to crochet, it was only three months, and I didn't feel up to the task of some of the tutorials I saw or even to create clothes and accessories, it was much too small !
So, after many researches, I came across this book : AmiguruME by Allison Hoffman. I immediately ordered it ! The product description, the few pictures and the positive feedback made it clear to me that this was THE thing I was looking for to do my mini-me !
I was all crazy when I received it and I didn't wait too long before I flipped through it and started crocheting.
At that time, I didn't have any quality yarn, I didn't want to use such beautiful balls of thread and risk ruining everything... So I took what I had on hand, i.e. size 3 or 4 acrylic yarn from Zeeman or the market.
For a beginner, I was proud of the result ! Except for the eyes. I didn't have safety eyes and embroidering on crochet fabric was much too early... For the glasses too. Without it, we wouldn't even see the difference, ahah !
For the earrings, I broke round-headed pins to only keep the black balls that I then glued to the ear. And finally, I brushed the hair with a cat brush to have a more "natural" effect.
II) First tries
In July 2016, feeling more confident with a crochet hook and considering that I had made good progress, I decided it was time to develop my own amigurumi design ! Fortunately, when I had this idea, I didn't know that my perfectionism would make me start over and over again...
This time, no acrylic or size 3mm (D) or 4mm (G) crochet hook. I wanted something thin and detailed, that looks as "realistic" as possible in terms of proportions and shapes (to the point of making the 5 fingers of the hand, yep...).
So here I am looking (again !) for a thin cotton thread of a correct beige color. It wasn't an easy thing but I finally opted for the Essential Crochet by Rico Design in color 02. With that I needed a suitable crochet hook. It was the first time I was going to crochet so small so I had nothing on hand. I therefore bought my very first Amour by Clover, in 1mm (12) and 1,25mm ! Since then, I gradually expande my collection as soon as I order on a site that sells it.
I wanted to make a seamless pattern so I started at the top of the skull to make the head, then decreased to have a neck and finally moved on to the shoulders. I determined the number of stitches I needed for the arms by placing stitch markers and I took the thread from the rest of the stitches to make the bust and so on.
Except that there was a problem : the head was MUCH too big (2,5cm - 0.78" - in diameter for 6cm - 2.36" - high), it could never have held without falling and anyway the result didn't please me.
So here I am again, going for a new try following the same method. This time, as soon as I finished the head, I put the body on hold to place the hair. In the end, I was still not convinced : the head was still much too big and the junction of the arms made it difficult to manipulate the movements. This sounded like a good idea to me, but it seemed like I was missing something...